As the Head of Finance and Operations/Finance Manager, you will be an important member of the Core Leadership Team within our organisation reporting to the Assembly Executive Secretary (AES).This is a hands-on role working with our small finance team in administering and reporting on financial, payroll, taxes and administration matters. You will prepare our Group Tier One annual financial statements, ensuring all financial and charitable compliance matters are attended to, drawing on your extensive experience within the charity sector.
You will work with external and internal parties such as our auditors, Charities Services, Church governance bodies and affiliated organisations, including providing accounting advice and assistance to our parties and presbyteries.
You will lead our Tier One compliance reporting, drawing on your extensive experience in working in the charity sector.
The Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa New Zealand (PCANZ) believes it is called by God to work with others in making Jesus Christ known. The Presbyterian Church has been in New Zealand more than 160 years, and today we face an environment as challenging as that faced by the early settlers in 1840. We have a strategy that recognises that our society has changed, and we have to change with it while retaining our belief in the transforming power of Christ.
The values of the National Service Team of the Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa New Zealand
In a Spirit of Aroha
Christian: We strive to be encouraging and compassionate. We work with integrity and care for God’s creation
Whanau: We are one team, on the same page, and can work in an environment of respect and truth.
Innovative: We endeavour to look forward, to be agile, responsive and flexible.
Collaboration: We achieve more by working together and by communicating with clarity.
Quality: We deliver the very best, holding ourselves accountable for our results.
- Responsible for the preparation, completion and audit of the Annual Financial Statements for the Presbyterian Group accounts
- Liaise with all related entities of the Presbyterian Church to ensure timely inclusion within the Group Accounts
- Reporting to the Resource Sub Committee and the Council of Assembly
- A member of the Audit and Risk Committee
- Preparing monthly management reporting and statutory accounts
- Strategic input from a financial perspective
- Budgeting, forecasting
- Liaison with Charities Services and carrying out annual compliance
- Maintain a continuous improvement focus
- Staff management
- Oversight of the IT Systems, including hardware and software
- Ensure security of business systems
- Other additional tasks as required
The Finance Manger will build and maintain effective relationships and partnerships and represent whole of Presbyterian Church views and protect its reputation in all interactions
You will be a member of the Chartered Accountants of Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ) or similar professional body with a minimum of 10 years’ experience. You will have a professional and friendly manner; proven knowledge in the preparation and completion of Tier 1 financial statements; excellent computer skills –including advanced levels of Office 365, including Teams, and be experienced with using online technology.
You will also have a high standard of written and oral skills and the ability to deal with difficult situations in a professional and caring manner.
You could be a member of a Christian Church and would naturally be supportive and identify with the mission and ministry of the Presbyterian Church
The successful applicant will have the professional credibility to inspire confidence, together with experience in supporting staff with multiple tasks; strong organisational and prioritisation skills with the ability to anticipate needs; attention to detail; experience in document management; a proven ability to provide high quality work, within deadlines and timeframes; a strong focus on collaboration, support and communication.
Key attributes sought in applicants, will include the following
You will be CA or CPA qualified with demonstrated leadership experience in the charity and NGO field with strong accounting and technical experience
You will strongly identify with the mission and values of the Church
You will be a clear and direct communicator with a strategic approach to financial management, supported by strong planning and organisational skills
You will have demonstrable experience in building and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders – both internal and external
High levels of communication skills – both written and oral – and an ability to present both financial and non-financial material to governance and key stakeholders
Applications – including a covering letter and a CV close: 11 May 2021 5PM
Applications to: Wayne Matheson firstname.lastname@example.org
The application form will include these questions:
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in New Zealand?
- Have you completed a chartered accountant (CA) qualification?
- How many years of people management experience do you have?
- How many years of managerial accounting experience do you have?
- Do you have experience working in the not-for-profit sector?
- Are you currently a member of Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ)?
- Have you worked in a role which requires experience with financial analysis and modelling?
- Have you worked in a role where you were responsible for budget management & forecasting?