World Council of Churches wishes to appoint a Programme Executive for Peace-Building in the African Region
The purpose of this role is to promote and strengthen relations with churches and ecumenical organizations in Africa, and with other relevant partners, for the purposes of peace-building and related initiatives, focusing on identified priority countries.
This is a four-year full-time contract positon and is based in Geneva, starting from 1 July 2019.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Promote and deepen relations with WCC member churches, ecumenical organizations and networks in Africa to address situations of conflict, suffering and injustice.
- Encourage and enable the churches most directly affected by conflict to speak for themselves, to interpret their situation, and to be listened to as authentic local voices.
- Create ecumenical awareness and understanding of the advocacy goals of ecumenical partners and related opportunities for peace building.
- Convene and facilitate ecumenical forums and consultations pertaining to critical issues in this field.
- Ensure that WCC’s commitments with AACC and other partners on the work in Africa are implemented.
- Liaise with Ecumenical partners who support the WCC strategic action in Africa.
- Coordinate and prepare visits by the General Secretary to Africa (in close collaboration with the general secretariat) and ensure appropriate follow-up.
- Contribute to the integration between activities related to peace-building in the African region and other relevant WCC activities and transversals.
Applications close on 31 May 2019
Apply for this position by clicking on the following link:
Please click here to download the full Job Description.